As we go through the caregiving journey, there are many difficult days that may challenge us mentally, physically and emotionally. It can be tough to feel thankful at Thanksgiving when we are dealing with persistent illness and disability in a loved one.
Our many blessings may be hard to remember when we have to confront the challenges of daily caregiving for someone with Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, stroke or other health problem. But we always have many reasons to give thanks. Being a caregiver also has many rewards - it allows us to spend more time with our loved one, and we can help her to live a much more rewarding life.
There are some simple ways that we can tap back into that feeling of gratitude that we should have for our many blessings:
- Call one of your friends who has been kind and helpful in your caregiving journey. Thank her and tell her why you feel as grateful as you do. You also can send this thanks in a handwritten note. By expressing thanks to another person, you will definitely feel uplifted.
- Get outside to a beautiful and/or peaceful spot. Pay very close attention to the parts that make you happy and relaxed. Express thanks to God that such beauty exists!
- If you are thinking about a difficult caregiving challenge, try to think of it in a more positive way. Also, think about what is good in your life right now.
- Read and reflect on prayers of Thanksgiving, such as in Psalm 107.
- Go to Goodreads.com and read some of the most inspiring quotes about gratitude and thankfulness.
You may still find it hard to be thankful at Thanksgiving if you are a caregiver, but do not be hard on yourself. Intermingled with the difficulties of caregiving are many positives, but it is very understandable if you forget about those sometimes.
We also urge you to consider ways that you can make your life as a caregiver easier. Our company offers many helpful and affordable products that you can use to improve your life, as well as that of your loved one. For example, we offer many comfort products that can help:
These products are very helpful for people who are afflicted with arthritis pain.
Increase the comfort in bed of your loved one so she can get a good night's rest.